|CALL:||COLLABORATION CHALLENGES 2017: R&D&i Projects/Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities|
|PROJECT TITLE:||NEW PROCESS FOR CONVERSION OF IODINE-CONTAINING WASTE INTO RAW MATERIALS FOR CONTRAST MEDIA|
|CONSORTIUM:||JUSTESA IMAGEN S.A.U / UNIVERSIDAD AUTÓNOMA DE MADRID / AMBIENTE Y RESIDUOS, S.L.|
|Financed by: ERDF/Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities – State Research Agency/ [CONYODO] NEW PROCESS FOR CONVERSION OF IODINE-CONTAINING WASTE INTO RAW MATERIALS FOR CONTRAST MEDIA _ RTC-2017-6096-5|
The DTA production process is based on two strategic components: iodine and 3,5-Dinitrobenzoic acid. JUSTESA ensures supply of these fundamental raw materials by means of a highly active policy. The majority of the iodine used, up to 87%, is incorporated in the manufacture of the DTA, but the remaining 13% is lost in distinct industrial wastes produced in the process. Currently, both wastes are sent to Bergkamen, Germany, where the only plant in Europe capable of carrying out the process to recover the iodine contained in them is located. JUSTESA transports its wastes, with high iodine concentrations, in lorries by road. This process is not sustainable from an environmental, economic and social perspective due to the high cost of waste management, the low return from its recovery in Germany and the high greenhouse gas emissions (in the Bergkamen plant and from the lorries transporting the wastes).
For this reason, the main objective of this project is to design, develop, optimise and scale up a novel heat treatment to enable recovery of iodine from JUSTESA’s iodine-containing wastes resulting from DTA production, at the same time as reducing generation of potentially hazardous wastes, recovering a key raw material in the production process and achieving a more competitive and environmentally friendly process. To do this, a consortium has been set up, consisting of JUSTESA, Ambiente y Residuos (AYRE) and the Chemical Engineering Group of the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM), as experts in waste reclamation.
The project will run from 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2019, with a proposed budget of €662,371.93.
The CONYODO Project, reference RTC-2017-6096-5, has been financed by the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities under the aid scheme Collaboration Challenges 2017: R&D&i projects, co-financed by the European Union’s ERDF fund. This call aims to promote technological development, innovation and quality research.